Photo by Maddie Molot, Model: Carina Hardy
Welcome to Barnard, Class of 2019! We’re so excited to have you here. As you acclimate to our beloved Morningside Heights campus, we’re sharing the 125 things you’re going to want to do before you graduate from Barnard. As NSOP comes to a close, senior year is still far away—but there’s no time like the present to get started on a college checklist! See how many items you can already check off of our Barnard to-do list, originally published in our October 2014 issue—and get excited to check off the rest in the next four years!
Stay tuned to find out when we’ll have our first meeting of the semester, and best of luck!
-The editors of The Barnard Bulletin
1. Take a selfie with Millie the Dancing Bear.
2. Try to catch a lift from the Barnard Shuttle.
3. Realize the Barnard Shuttle is out of order.
4. Go to ONE constellation event.
5. Wave your fake candle at Covocation.
6. Go to the wrong Lehman Library.
7. Overeat at Midnight Breakfast.
8. Triumphantly claim your free frappuccino after singing karaoke at Liz’s Place.
9. Go to an event for the free Barnard swag.
10. Eat at Hewitt on Caribbean night.
11. Spot DSpar eating at Absolute Bagels. Fangirl like crazy and tell everyone.
12. Learn (or at least attempt to learn) “College on the Hilltop.”
13. Have your spot in the library.
14. Go to the Brooks study lounge in your PJs.
15. Complain about the patriarchy.
16. Tie every conversation back to the patriarchy.
17. Crush the patriarchy.
18. Perfect the art of the feminist rant.
19. Worship DSpar.
20. Get locked out of your room.
21. Make NSOP friends.
22. Forget the names of 90% of the people you met during NSOP.
23. Eat pizza more than 3 times a week.
24. Take Reacting to the Past.
25. Go on a class field trip to the Met.
26. Dance at any and all campus BBQs.
27. Take Back the Night.
28. Sit under the magnolia tree.
29. Host a prospective student.
30. Brag about Barnard alumnae to your friends back home.
31. Try (and fail) to do your homework perched in the magnolia tree.
32. Tell someone it’s not a girl’s school, but a women’s college.
33. Read a book by Mary Gordon.
34. Have class outside.
35. Get lost in the tunnels.
36. Love the tunnels come February.
37. Make friends with Claudia at Liz’s Place.
38. Survive the Housing Games.
39. Raid the Quad vending machines.
40. Run out of points thanks to Diana Cafe pizza.
41. Wait in line for a package.
42. PDF a class.
43. Talk about the 10th way of knowing–coffee.
44. Talk about how the 9 Ways are better than the Core.
45. Curse the existance of the 8:40 class.
46. Read Installment. Miss it once you leave the Quad
47. Steal free condoms from the Well Woman office.
48. Steal free chocolate from the Well Woman office
49. Take Dance in New York City.
50. Get to know (one of) your class deans.
51. Take a dance class (even if you have two left feet).
52. Take African Dance.
53. Start explaining the tumultuous Barnard/Columbia relationship and stop because you realize it’s not worth it.
54. Contemplate heavily on the tumultuous Barnard/Columbia relationship.
55. Contempate heavily on your tumultuous relationship with a Columbia man (and stop because you realize he’s not worth it).
56. Take the subway to class (if you live on 110).
57. Brush your teeth in the library during finals.
58. Go to a frat party and realize that there’s nothing “fraternal” about it.
59. Believe that you can have it all!
60. And then realize that it’s okay if you don’t (have it all).
61. Take a profile pictures posed with the magnolia tree.
62. Be on Faces of Barnard.
63. Build a friendship with a professor.
64. Get on a first name basis with your advisor.
65. Change your major.
66. Change your major again.
67. Take a Women’s Studies class.
68. Friend Diana TheCenter on Facebook.
69. Get tagged by Diana TheCenter for leaving your ID there.
70. Intern in the city.
71. Join the Barnard Babysitting Agency.
72. Take the Barnard Bartending Class (and pass the exam).
73. Stock up on local produce (and baked goods) at the farmers’ market.
74. Get a Morningside Heights CSA share.
75. Get a milkshake at 2 a.m. at Tom’s.
76. Go to a halal cart for a midnight snack.
77. Snag a piece of Big Sub.
78. Celebrate Founders’ Day.
79. Host (or listen to) a WBAR station.
80.Go to the WBARBQ.
81. Find the perfect study nook on campus.
82. Go to a student theater production.
83. Work with a Writing Fellow.
84. Finish a whole Koronet’s slice.
85. Read Debora Spar’s Wonder Women book.
86. Use your student ID to get discounts.
87. Go to the Metropolitan Opera.
88. Get an on-campus job.
89. Eat an Insomnia cookie.
90. Order a late night grilled cheese from Feel Good.
91. Audition for Orchesis.
92. Get into an L-course off the waitlist.
93. Brag about how Barnard’s football team is undefeated since 1889.
94. Get student rush tickets for a Broadway show.
95. Mourn the loss of the swimming pool.
96. Go to Debora Spar’s office hours.
97. Get your resume revamped by Career Development.
98. Run on the track in LeFrak.
99. Buy a Spirit Week t-shirt.
100. Live in one of the 600s.
101. Talk to your personal librarian.
102. Have an awkward sign-in experience.
103. Go to a class event.
104. Crash a class event that isn’t for your class.
105. Upgrade your first year tote to a Senior Experience one.
106. Keeping thinking SX says “SEX” on your senior tote.
107. Join a club that’s not in your area of expertise.
108. Go ice skating in Bryant Park.
109. Adventure to all five boroughs of New York City (even Staten Island).
110.Go to a Bacchante concert.
111. Check out the Milbank greenhouse.
112. Go up on the Diana roof.
113. See a student improv show.
114. Get a deal on the Barnard Buy Sell Trade page on Facebook.
115. Attend a student reading.
116. Go to the Athena Film Festival.
117. Snag cheap movie tickets at the Barnard Store.
118. Buy books at Book Culture and return them when the cheaper ones arrive from Amazon.
119. Get your coffee from Joe or Oren’s. Swear your allegiance to either.
120. Read The Barnard Bulletin.
121. Fix a printer in the Quad computer labs by hitting it repeatedly.
122. Be constantly inspired by the students around you.
123. Have an amazing commencement speaker.
124. Write for The Barnard Bulletin.
125. Major in Unafraid.